On the 7th of October 2013 User Voice hosted a Co-production Event. The event allowed Service Users and Probation Staff to work collaboratively, co-producing a set of recommendations that service providers can implement to improve their current policies and procedures.
The recommendations are
City & Hackney- Westminster, Kensington & Chelsea
- Leaflet or pamphlet of services and charities to apply for support before release
- More appropriate info in waiting areas
Barking, Dagenham & Havering
- Action Cards
- Communication/ technology (service user mailbox)
- Probation Officers to give out personal dial number
- Greater signposting to be part of the induction
Merton & Sutton
- Management oversight for in house services (e.g. education/training/employment and housing)
- Offender managers to be monitored for a period to see why service users are having to wait
Brent & Hillingdon
- More financial support for service users being released from prison whilst they are waiting for befits
- Information pack on local services and available grants to be produced by service users and probation officers and made available to their local borough
The flexible model allowed participants toaddress complex issues where there are divergent viewpoints.
The enthusiasm shown by both service users and service providers was extremely encouraging; as a result a set of solution based recommendations were produced.
These recommendations represent the most important issues identified by the group and will be addressed at the council meetings to follow.