- Flexible Location
- Voluntary, expenses paid if applicable
- 2-3 days per week, for 8-12 weeks (flexible)
User Voice was created for and is run by people who have been in prison and on probation. Lived experience means we engage empathetically instead of sympathetically.
We exist to reduce offending and improve rehabilitation by working with the most marginalised people in and around the criminal justice system. We ensure that practitioners and policymakers hear their voices.
User Voice Prison Councils and Community Councils represent the views of 1 in 4 people in prison and on probation in England and Wales.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
We require a forward-thinking communications intern who is enthusiastic and motivated to use their creativity and knowledge to create engaging and informative content to develop User Voice’s profile.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right person to gain knowledge on the Criminal Justice System and develop skills and experience in using digital media while being involved with an innovative charity.
- Identify methods and avenues for publicising and marketing the work of User Voice;
- Creating content and campaigns for our social media platforms;
- Research background material for User Voice projects;
- Researching charities, events and societies involved with people in the Criminal Justice System and initiating links with these organisations;
- General administrative duties;
- Assist staff and CEO with tasks as and when they arise.
- A genuine interest in Criminal Justice and Social policy;
- Confident using social media platforms (Facebook/Instagram/ Twitter etc.);
- Experience in blogging and designing web content;
- Able to develop networks;
- Strong IT and research skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to be proactive and work largely unsupervised;
- Highly organised.
What this role can offer
- Invaluable experience working within a criminal justice system based charity as well as the opportunity to be involved with a start up at an exciting stage in its development;
- The space to develop existing skills and gain new ones in a practical working environment;
- Work experience to add to your CV;
- Support from a motivated and enthusiastic team;
- A valuable experience contributing to real social change;
- Reimbursement of travel expenses (if applicable).
Equality and diversity
User Voice welcomes applications from ex-offenders and from all sections of the community regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age or disability.
Disclosure and Baring Service (DBS) checks
This post is subject to a standard criminal record disclosure check via the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) processes. The purpose of the check is to ensure that the nature of the applicant’s criminal record, considered alongside evidence of the applicant’s rehabilitation, does not indicate that his or her employment in this role would put current service users at risk.
To apply, send your CV and covering letter by 5pm on 11 July to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do not delay in applying as we will interview as and when a suitable candidate applies and have the right to close the application process early.